problems upgrading 2.0 to 2.1

Package: dpkg-multicd
Version: 0.14

I am trying to upgrade a Debian 2.0 system to 2.1, using dpkg-multicd.
I have encountered a few problems.

Firstly, I went in, had it mount the second disk ok to read the packages
file; then I quit. Another process was in the directory (a shell I was using)
so it wasn't unmounted; no problem there. I ran dselect again; [A]ccess
noticed that a disc was mounted and asked if that was OK; however,
[U]pdate could not cope with a disc being already mounted.

I cleaned that up, then went in to [S]elect. Just hit [Enter], fixed
some conflicts, and went [I]nstall. It tried to install ncurses4, without
upgrading libc6 first; this failed due to the dependencies, so installation
was aborted. Then when I went [S]elect and [I]install again, I get:

ISO9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)
internal error - no filename at -e line 13, <P> chunk 14.

installation script returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.

Now I'm stuck for ideas.

Hamish