Re: downloading

At 09:52 PM 3/19/99 -0500, kitc wrote:
>   I tried for over two hours to figure out how to download a copy of
>your program off the mirrir sights.

Have to ask the obvious question - did you read the install instructions at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.html ? (assuming that
you have an intel based machine - other architectures are supported too)

>why can't you just have a file that
>you can download easily

It's not a single file any more than Windows is just one file - Debian has
over 2000 (!) different programmes available

>and not have to try and play hunt and pick to
>get a program.

AFAIK all of the distributions do have their software archives in one
location.  It's up to you to use the package manager to select which
individual programmes you require.  Fortunately Debian offers a good choice
of pre-selected programmes so all you have to do to decide what you are
going to use your computer for.

>I would really like to try linux but can find no place to
>download it that doesn't run you all over.

In summary, I would suggest that you:

a) read the FAQ : http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/

b) read the install file carefully - it is comprehensive and requires a
small time investment on your part.

c) check out http://www.linux.org for more information on what Linux is and
isn't

d) order a cd from one of the many vendors at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors

e) try the install and make notes of everything - even if things seem to be
going OK.  If you have problems later on and ask questions here the first
thing ppl want to know is what you did and _exactly_ what error messages
you received.

f) note that ftp installation is an option but is _very_ time consuming -
unless you have a private T1 :)

g) read the how-to's that are relevant to your installation.  How-to's are
available from http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html.  They
are also installed on your computer normally as part of the overall
installation process.

h) if you have further difficulties please feel free to ask questions but
specify what equipment you have, what you have tried and what
programmes/errors are causing the problem

HTH
Ivan.