Re: SAMBA help.

*- On 19 Mar, Paul Nathan Puri wrote about "Re: SAMBA help."
> When you say yours is called ASGARD, does that mean you named your linux
> box ASGARD too?
>
> So I have to edit /etc/hosts and the rest to rename my machine?  Hmmm...
>
> I like the intranet setup a lot.  But I definitely need to learn SAMBA; so
> do I have to rename my linux box, edit host files etc?  Thanks...

No.  The you need to give your group of PC's a workgroup name, I use
the generic HOME so all PC's in the local net will be in the workgroup
called HOME.  Then each PC has it's own netbios name, by default it
uses the first part of the DNS name.

>From the smb.conf man page

       netbios name (G)

              This  sets the NetBIOS name by which a Samba server
              is known. By default it is the same  as  the  first
              component  of the host´s DNS name.  If a machine is
              a browse server or logon server this name  (or  the
              first  component of the hosts DNS name) will be the
              name that these services are advertised under.

              See also "netbios aliases".

              Default:      Machine DNS name.

              Example:      netbios name = MYNAME

      workgroup (G)

              This  controls  what  workgroup  your  server  will
              appear to be in when queried by clients. Note  that
              this  parameter  also controls the Domain name used
              with the "security=domain" setting.

              Default:
                   set at compile time to WORKGROUP

              Example: workgroup = MYGROUP

I have a 2 pc home network like this.

              Linux box                 Win95 box

        IP    192.168.1.1		192.168.1.2
  fake DNS    brian.servis.snet		angela.servis.snet
 workgroup    HOME			HOME
 netbios name BRIAN			ANGELA

in /etc/samba/smb.conf

# Global parameters
        workgroup = HOME
        netbios name = BRIAN

Althought the above 'netbios name' is not really needed.
These do not have to be the same as the info in /etc/hosts

in /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1                       localhost loopback
192.168.1.1                     brian.servis.snet brian
192.168.1.2                     angela.servis.snet angela

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net