Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 10:36:43AM -0500, MallarJ@aol.com wrote:
> I have to admit, there is a bit of truth to this, alot of people just don't
> have the time to read 18 different documents in 18 different locations.  Man
> pages, info pages, FAQs, HOWTOs, mini-HOWTOs, READMEs, INSTALL docs, package
> descriptions... it is a bit daunting.  I do feel that anyone installing
> anything shoud be up for some reading, but just how much reading is the
> question.   I'm not even going to think about complaining about the amount of
> documentation, coming from systems that have zip, I know from experience how
> helpful good documentation can be.  But I wonder if maybe there is a better
> way to organize the volumunous information given to us in a standard, easy to
> use, heirarchial fashion.

Well, ultimately, this is what programs like dhelp are designed to do.  But
we have a long road ahead of us.  There are *at least* six major file
formats used for documentation already.

1) plain text
2) man pages (and other nroff sources, like the X books)
3) HTML
4) info/TeXinfo
5) TeX/LaTeX
6) Raw PostScript

I doubt anyone writes docs in straight PostScript by hand, but I think
there are cases where we don't have the source document that was used to
create the PS document.

Also, I left out SGML because *I think* we always provide SGML-based
documentation in some kind of post-processed format.

To systematize all these manners of documentation would be a gargantuan
task.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |            //     // //  /     /