Re: Drop-in-Debian

First, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my request - Ray, Dale
and Bob Hilliard.  This list is great!

Dale Scheetz said
> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 09:54:54 -0500, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
> > > I've spent way too much time looking for a reference to Drop-in-Debian (or
> > > DiD).
> >
> > http://www.linuxpress.com/001002.htm
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, "Drop in Debian" is the name of the Debian (derivative)
> > distribution included with "The Debian Linux User's Guide Edition 2". Dale?

I wasn't sure where I saw the reference - I did take a quick look at
Linux Press's site.  Was running low on time, though and just missed it...

> Well, actually it is only delivered in the first edition, although I have
> been able to get it to work with the 2.0 release, and can provide CDs for
> those who are interested.

Bummer that it isn't a part of release 2.0.

> The original DiD was created, using a patched kernel, to provide a kernel
> compilation environment for those who only have a DOS machine, and can
> not boot the installation kernel. The system provided is very minimal,
> with only the tools and space needed to build a custom kernel. I have
> since expanded this to a "standard" system, and I use it for testing
> system upgrades from previous releases.
>
> I saw something recently that indicated that someone in France (I believe)
> has taken the concept and implimented it using initrd and the new kernels
> that recognize the loop device as a valid root file system. I have not
> been able to make his approach work yet, but that is mostly due to lack of
> time for working on it. It is more attractive because it does not require
> a patched kernel, giving more flexibility.
>
> Let me know if I can be of any further assistance,

Here's what's happening:
Starting on March 29th I begin teaching a "Unix" coourse at the North Central
Technical College, here in Mansfield, Ohio, USA.  Actually, I'm teaching two
sections of the course, about 35-40 students altogether.

I've talked the poweres-that-be into letting me use Linux as my "Unix"
platform.(Prior to this they have been using either a Telnet session from
Win95 to a HP-UX system or running some crummy Unix-like shell on DOS...ick!)
Being that I'm more than a litle partial to Debian, the Linux we're using is
of course going to be Debian.

What's more, we're going to be using "The Debian Linux User's Guide Edition 2"
along with the Havoc Pennington's Debian tutorial as our primary references.
NCTC has already ordered 40+ copies of the book and is willing to make copies
of nearly any Debian documentation I provide them.

It wasn't clear what computers we were going to be using for the class,
and I had no idea whether they were going to let me re-partition any drives.
So I though DiD would be a possible solution.  However, since I posted my
original question, I've had a meeting with the Department Head and have
learned that the computer lab I'm going to be teaching in is getting 20+
brand new Gateway's - each with 10-13GB hard drives.  So the need for DiD
may be a mute point.

At this point in time, the one and only "Unix" course offered by NCTC is
aimed at the _user_ level.  It is my goal (provided this upcoming quarter is
a sucsess) to expand it into two additional courses - one geared towards
administration of Unix based systems and the other for developers.  Though,
I doubt that I'm all that qualified to teach a developers course...

And to top the whole thing off - each student of the course (CS-270) is
also invited to join the MansFielD Linux Users Group (MFDLUG) so they can
have help installing Debian on any (or all) of their personal systems.
Of course if they should want to install Debian on their Corp/work systems
they can join the MFDLUG or contract with Practical Network Design.  :)

> Dwarf
> --
> _-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian Linux User's Guide"  _-_-_-_-_-_-
>
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (850) 656-9769
>       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
>       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308
>
> _-_-_-_-_-_- If you don't see what you want, just ask _-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Dale, if you ever get up to Ohio we'd love to have you "guest lecture" or
maybe do a "book signing"!  :)

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841