Re: Drop-in-Debian

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 09:54:54 -0500, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
> > I've spent way too much time looking for a reference to Drop-in-Debian (or
> > DiD).
>
> http://www.linuxpress.com/001002.htm
>
> If I'm not mistaken, "Drop in Debian" is the name of the Debian (derivative)
> distribution included with "The Debian Linux User's Guide Edition 2". Dale?

Well, actually it is only delivered in the first edition, although I have
been able to get it to work with the 2.0 release, and can provide CDs for
those who are interested.

The original DiD was created, using a patched kernel, to provide a kernel
compilation environment for those who only have a DOS machine, and can
not boot the installation kernel. The system provided is very minimal,
with only the tools and space needed to build a custom kernel. I have
since expanded this to a "standard" system, and I use it for testing
system upgrades from previous releases.

I saw something recently that indicated that someone in France (I believe)
has taken the concept and implimented it using initrd and the new kernels
that recognize the loop device as a valid root file system. I have not
been able to make his approach work yet, but that is mostly due to lack of
time for working on it. It is more attractive because it does not require
a patched kernel, giving more flexibility.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance,

Dwarf