Re: installing debian

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Juan Revollo wrote:

 : -No, when looking at the partition table, no extended partitions exist
 :
 : -The original partition was Dos. When the rescue floppy could not
 : repartition, I deleted   it.  The rescue floppy sill cannot partition.
 :
 : -The rescue floppy runs a menu, this menu runs down steps to
 : partitioning, configuring, etc. When the step to partition the hard drive
 : is executed, It tells me:
 :
 : cfdisk has failed to repartition. I may wipe out your partition table and
 : run cfdisk again.
 :
 : If i answer yes, the same thing will happen when trying to repartition.
 : If no, I am unable to advance.

Your partition table is probably corrupt.  cfdisk, the program that gets
called during the installation routine, is pretty lame when these sort
of problems crop up IMO.

How to resolve the problem:

  Press ALT-F2
  Press ENTER to activate the console.
  Type `fdisk'
  `h' provides help.
  `p' prints the current table
  `q' quits without saving
  `w' writes the new table and quits
  `n' creates a new partition

If the fdisk interface intimidates you, at least you can use it to
create a valid partition table (with `w') and then use cfdisk from the
installation routine.

ALT-F1 gets you back to the installation routine, BTW

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD