Re: How to create /dev/eth*?

*- On 18 Mar, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote about "Re: How to create /dev/eth*?"
> Benoit Joly wrote:
>> you dont need to create the device.
>>
>> the device will be there if your kernel support the ethernet card, which is
>> probably not what you did.
>>
>> so compile your kernel to support the ethernet card and everything should be
>> fine.
>
> Thanks.  I will try it out later today when I go home.
>
> S.

To clarify a little, there will never be a /dev/eth0 device.  Once you
have complied your kernel to support your network card you just
initilize it with route and ifconfig.  For my little home network this
is what I am using.  You might also need to specify a gateway depending
on how the network is setup.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net