Trying to understand Packages[.gz] files

I'm installing Debian gradually; until I get it online I have Windows,
in its own partition, set up for Internet use. I use Windows to download
Debian packages I'm interested in onto my hard drive, creating a partial
mirror of the Debian distribution; I then install those packages by
accessing the Windows partition from Debian. What's the significance of
Packages (or Packages.gz) files in this case?

1) Does dpkg/dselect/apt assume that all packages listed in a Packages
file are available on my hard drive? If so, should I manually create a
stripped-down Packages file that describes only the few dozen packages
I've downloaded?

2) Alternatively, is Packages used only to provide additional data to
the package management tools - that is, do the tools scan for .deb
packages that I've actually downloaded, then use the Packages file only
to extract further information about those few packages?

I suspect it's 1), because dselect in particular shows guff about
packages I've never downloaded but that are described in the Packages
file (which I have downloaded).

Any help appreciated

Lloyd