Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows

*- On 15 Mar, Richard Harran wrote about "Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows"
> After reading this thread, I've removed xbase and (unwanted) xdm (I'll
> own up, I didn't rtfm, and it caused me a problem upgrading
> hamm->slink).  However, I dpkg warnings:
> 	while removeing xdm, directory /var/state/xdm not empty so no
> 		removed,
> and the same for /etc/X11/xdm.  Is it ok for me to manually remove these
> directories and their contents, or will I break something?

As long as you were removing xdm with --purge or( _ in dselect).  The
reason these messages come up is because there are files in those
directories that are not listed in the package's list of files.  In
/var/state/xdm/authdir/authfiles/ there is the cookie file that is
generated on the fly by xdm and is not in the package list.  In
/etc/X11/xdm there are lots of files that if edited or backed up then
they will not part of the package list.  So you truly want to
completely wipe xdm from you system go ahead and manually clean out the
directories and remove them.

--
Brian
							   - unknown