Re: CDROM problem

I have been fighting a simular problem. I've traced mine down to the
scsi driver probing for devices during boot-up. If the cdrom is found
during bootup, the adding of the module will add sr. Most of the time,
this new resc1440.bin doesn't find my cdrom. Once booted
Press alt+F2 if you need a new terminal to work in
cd /proc
cat devices

11     sr
should be one of the entries or you're not getting any closer.
The software device sr is needed to talk to cdroms. The command
`dmesg` ( or `dmsg` I keep forgetting) will show you the scroll that
happened during bootup. If your cdrom is not listed then you have the
same problem I do.

I have an adaptec 2940u scsi pci controller. There is a chance that
you don't have the same problem I have had but I have seen 2 other
complaints in the last week plus, but no real answers yet.

What I am looking for now:

1. an option to give the scsi driver during configuration to extend
the timeout of waiting for devices to respond

2. a way to tell the kernel there is a drive it missed and to add it
to its lists.

Feel free to contact me if there is a chance we can compare notes.

Juice --have fun --harm none