Re: Re[2]: ping script for isp autologout

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> Aha. Thanks for the tip. Stupid me though, it dawned on me, when I got the
> pppupd package, that I'm using a new OpenBSD box for dialling up and that this
> Linux machine is not the place I want to do the 'keepalive' work from.
>
> Any clue as to a script that might work on that dialup machine?

well, you could get the source for pppupd and compile it on your OpenBSD
box.  sources are on your debian mirror in the same directory as
'binary-i386' or whatever.

otherwise, the 'ping' command has a switch, -i, which tells it how many
seconds to wait between packets.  'ping -i 300 host.example.com' will ping
your isp's dialup server every five minutes while you've got your
connection up (replace the address, obviously).

hth,

-thomas

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)