Re: gcc 2.8.x deb-package

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> > I am searching for a debian package of gcc 2.8.x . In an old mail of this
> > list I found a statement, that such a package should be somewhere in
> > projects/experimental... but I only find a deb package for gcc 2.9.x
> > (gcc_2.91.63-1.1.deb) in the potato directory.

> That gcc package is for egcs, a compiler which some believe is superior
> to GCC because it is more actively developed.
Yes, I know already, after examining the deb-file with dpkg :)

> Right now, Debian uses egcs for its C++ compiler
Hmm... I'm using Debian 2.0, and I've got still gcc 2.7.2.3 .

> uses egcs to compile it). I believe that one of the goals of Debian 2.1
> is to offer egcs as a c compiler as well.

Well, at least, I'm searching for a deb package for gcc 2.8.x, because I
think, switching from gcc 2.7.x to gcc 2.8.x is easier than switching to
egcs 1.1.x . - or am I wrong?

 CU, Holger

--
Holger Mense