Re: gcc 2.8.x deb-package

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 19:16:32 +0000, Holger Mense wrote:
> I am searching for a debian package of gcc 2.8.x . In an old mail of this
> list I found a statement, that such a package should be somewhere in
> projects/experimental...

Its packaging was extremely old, and incompatible with the current gcc and
EGCS packages.

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 19:35:39 +0000, Holger Mense wrote:
> Well, at least, I'm searching for a deb package for gcc 2.8.x, because I
> think, switching from gcc 2.7.x to gcc 2.8.x is easier than switching to
> egcs 1.1.x . - or am I wrong?

You're wrong. FSF gcc 2.8.x is to all intents and purposes a dead
development line. EGCS is actively maintained; its C++ has significant
improvements over FSF gcc.
IMO its only a matter of time until the FSF accepts reality, and blesses
EGCS as the official FSF gcc.

Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,