Re: Too New

> I'm still trying to install Debian2.0. Here is what I'm doing. My
> computer boots to the CD-ROM, the rescue screen comes up. I press enter,
> Then I go into configure keyboard. After that I partition my second hard
> disk, ( first one has win98 on it)Make 1815mb for linux, 50 for swap,
> and should I make some for dos? the choices are dos16fat dos32fat and so
> on. after writing partition table, activating swap and such,

no, that option is for those sharing the drive w/ windows and what not

> I install
> the base system, after that, config, then reboot, I boot from floppy for
> now, so after boot, it goes into deslect, It asks for Access, I choose
> CD-ROM, It asks for the CD and the device block, I enter /dev/hdc,
> (Binary i386 is in the drive) It says it found something and it will do,
> but then it says it can't find something, I'm not sure what it is

it looks for contrib and non-free, which or not on the CD

> looking for, but it says enter none, after that its slect, then its
> install the packages, after that, its config, then quit. after ten
> minuts of hd and cd exchanges, it says good luck,,,. It says login,
> which I do as root, then password, then I get a prompt #. after that I
> can't do anything, If I type /dev/hdb1 it says permission denide, If I
> type ttys2 it says permission denide. whats going on here?

the permission denied error is because it tries to run /dev/hdb1 as a command
in UNIX everything is a file, and a file may be a program.  So it says, hey
why not and tries to run it.

sounds good so far.  Now, go to the local library or book store and look for
a nice intro to unix or linux book and enjoy.  Nothing is worse than fumbling
in the dark w/ a new OS.

Some hints:

df shows the mounted disks (the windows drive is not mounted by default)

ls shows ths files you have

dselect will get you back to where you installed packages earlier

read the man page for mount (type man mount)