Need advice for installing Oracle on Debian

I've been reading through the installation guide for Oracle 8.0.5, and
I don't like what I see. It's such a memory hog that Oracle recommends
tweaking the kernel parameters to allow the RDBMS to suck up vast
amounts of memory. They also want four mount points at the root level,
etc., etc.

I need to install Oracle, but want to keep my system as unchanges as
possible (e.g., FHS compliant). Is this possible? Can anyone please
give me the benefit of their experience with installing Oracle on a
Debian (2.1) system?

TIA,

..Edmund.

Apologies for the bad reply address--getting huge amounts of spam.
Sigh.