Re: Where to now?

>> "w" == wlovett  <wlovett@bellsouth.net> writes:

w> I installed Debian, and it dropped me into deselect. Deselect what?
w> Is the question? Are the packages additional software that needs to
w> be down loaded or is it talking about software included within the
w> distribution.

These are the packages which form the Debian distribution.

w> I installed from floppies; I could not get the loadlin program to
w> work for DOS.  Are the floppies that the deselect program is
w> talking about the same installation floppies.

I assume you used 8 or such floppies to install the base system. You
just installed the very base. You can't do vey much yet. Therefore you
need to install other packages. This is what dselect is for.

The current stable version consists of 4 CDs (2 binary and 2
source). Even if you just install a subset of the 2 binary CDs, you
don't want to do it with floppies.

Either get Debian CDs ( http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors ), or
install using ftp (that is connect via Modem/ISDN to the internet and
download the packages using dselect).

Ciao,
	Martin