Re: Boot disk swiped, how to make one?

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, David B. Teague wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I installed Slink on my system but had not installed LILO
> to make it bootable directly from the HD. Someone swiped the
> boot disk.
>
> Question:  Is it possible, given the contents of the /etc/fstab
> file and a knowledge of where the  kernel is located
> (/boot/vmlinuz-2.036) to run LILO from a boot disk -- say
> "Tom's Unix on a floppy" and make the floppy boot the kernel
> on the hard disk?

  I believe this is not possible with lilo, because it actually builds a
map of the sectors on disk that the kernel lives in. Thus if one defrags
and doesn't run lilo afterwards, one's disk becomes non-booting.

  If you have any sort of rescue disk, with linux on it, you can
tell lilo something like

vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

 and then run lilo once your system is up.

  Grub, the Grand Unified Boot Loader, actually understands ext2 (altho'
when I tried it it didn't do symlinks, and I like to have vmlinuz be a
symlink). So if you are using Grub, these problems don't arise. Grub
should eventually replace lilo.

--Jim	     http://as220.org/jb
			[Advertisement]

		       "Y2K: