Re: Magicfilter and Stylus Color 640

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.990312134930.4417A-100000@curiango> you write:

>Hi,
>
>	I purchase a new printer (above model) and I'm having some
>troubles to get correct settings for it.
>	I tried to use the magicfilter options (stcolor 360 and 720dpi)
>but the 720dpi always fails to print.
>	Trying uniprint (the driver for the 600 model, I guess) I was able
>to have higher resolution with a self-made filter script.
>	Does somebody else have this printer (or similar)? What are yours
>feeling about quality, speed, economy under Linux?
>	I haven't Windoze installed at home, so can't compare Linux and
>Windows printing. If some kind soul could give some data I would really
>appreciate.
>	Thanks.
>[]s,
>Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
>    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
>http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21

Several months ago, when I purchased a printer, I concluded that the
Epson Stylus 640 and 740 (I may have the numbers confused) used a
newer and incompatable protocol, hence wouldn't work with Ghostscript
(at least with the builtin drivers). Apparently, you need at least
the 840(?) model for backword compatability.

If you want to be able to print postscript files, the only thing
I can suggest is to setup a "windows" computer, as the "windows"
version of Ghostscript can use the native "windows" driver...

Please correct me though, if I am wrong... However I am just repeating
what Epson tech support told me.