System trashed

Ok, I just upgraded to slink, and thought everything was ok, but that was
before I rebooted.  My system rebooted, and started xdm (or whatever),
which I don't want, and the keyboard seemed to be locked up.  I could move
the mouse, but couldn't attempt to log in, or even switch to another
virtual terminal.  How can I stop this from happening?  Is this a bug,
'cos I didn't ask for xdm to be started, and, wherever I was given the
choice, I chose to keep my own startup scripts, so surely xdm's bullied
its way into starting.

Cheers
Rich