Re: Using crontab to update Debian

<snip>
> Quoting Shaleh (shaleh@livenet.net):
> >
> > On 09-Mar-99 Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
> > >     Hi Debian users,
> > >     In my country (Brazil) I only have to pay one tax between 0:00 and
> > > 6:00 AM independent of call time.
> > > I'm start thinking to get my home machine live at night and set crontab
> > > to use pon or wvdial (I have two account, one with pon and other with
> > > wvdial) and use /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/script_to_upgrade.
> > >     Am I following the right path to solution?
> > >     The script will be only:
> > >     #!/bin/bash
> > >     apt-get update
> > >     apt-get dist-upgrade
> > >     ?
> > >     Have a nice day,        Paulo Henrique
> > >

> > Yes, except for the fact that the install needs you there to hit enter a few
> > times.  Apt says "is this correct [Y/n]", "press enter to continue".  The
> > packages scripts may ask you for info as well.

You can add the -y switch to your apt-get command to automatically
answer "yes" to all the promts. This would facilitate unattended
updates. Be shure to read your logs though to see what got replaced
durring the night! I set my system up like this. It has worked _almost_
perfectly (having your dot-files replaced without your knowledge can be
anoying). It is nice though to wake up each morning to find that
_everything_ on your system is up to date.

Two examples of problems I encountered are:

1. One day after some updates gnome stopped working. I never use it
anyway so I didn't even try to fix it yet.

2. Another day I went to print a document and couldn't access /dev/lp0.
Apt-get had updated the lpr package durring the night and replaced the
permissions file with a new one that locked me out. Easy to fix, but an
inconvenience.

Good luck.
	- Ben Messinger
--
If Micro$oft were a pharmacutical company I would hate to think what
they