RE: Using crontab to update Debian

On 09-Mar-99 Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
>     Hi Debian users,
>     In my country (Brazil) I only have to pay one tax between 0:00 and
> 6:00 AM independent of call time.
> I'm start thinking to get my home machine live at night and set crontab
> to use pon or wvdial (I have two account, one with pon and other with
> wvdial) and use /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/script_to_upgrade.
>     Am I following the right path to solution?
>     The script will be only:
>     #!/bin/bash
>     apt-get update
>     apt-get dist-upgrade
>     ?
>     Have a nice day,        Paulo Henrique

Yes, except for the fact that the install needs you there to hit enter a few
times.  Apt says "is this correct [Y/n]", "press enter to continue".  The
packages scripts may ask you for info as well.

A better solution may be to try and setup a mirror program and just grab
packages you are interested in (X, libc, dpkg, other essentials).