Re: Going back <n> records, using mt. (script included)

nimennor@ieaccess.net (Sergey Imennov) writes:

> 	Here's a basic layout of the program:
>   1.  mt eof	( to 'append to a tape' )
>   2.  Write "/"
>   3.  Write 'dynamic' directories
>       doesn't work... )
>   5.  Invoke BRU's integrity-checking for "/"
>   6.  Invoke BRU's integrity-checking for 'dynamic' dirs.
>
> 	After step "2", should I write a file 'mark' with
> 	some mt option?

If you close the file in step 2 and reopen it in step 3 a filemark is
automatically written.

> 	What's the correct command for going back 2 'files'?

The problem is after closing the file a filemark is automatically
being written.  If you issue a "mt bsf 1" command right now you will
be at the beginning of that filemark (at least with my tape).

~$ mt tell          # Behind the filemark
At block 50.
~$ mt bsf 1
~$ mt tell          # Before the filemark
At block 50.

A subsequent "mt fsf 1" will position right after that filemark".  So
"mt bsf 3" followed by a "mt fsf 1" (to skip the filemark) should be
the correct command.

~$ mt fsf 1
~$ mt tell
At block 50.

I suggest testing the behaviour on your tape.  I just used some "dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/tape bs=512 count=10" to write some blocks, using
"mt tell" you can check the current position.  Unfortunatly, I don't
know a way to check if the tape is standing just left of the filemark
or right.

F = Filemark

After writing two files:

 File 0       F             F
|-------------|-------------|
                             ^

mt bsf 2

 File 0       F             F
|-------------|-------------|
              ^

mt fsf 1

 File 0       F             F
|-------------|-------------|
               ^

If you forget the "mt fsf 1" the filemark is erased.

> 	Would it be better if I use SCSI-specific
> 	commands like fss, bss?

If you can get the filemark behave the way you like I wouldn't suggest
that.

> 	Any comments on the script itself?  I used so
> 	many 'variables', because the script is easier
> 	adapted to other machines easier that way.  Am I
> 	wrong?

If I have some spare time I will take a look at it.

	Torsten

BTW: I used a DDS2 DAT drive (HP C1599) for testing.  After reading
the manpage and comparing the test results I got the impression the
manpage must be wrong with regards to the bsf command.

--
Homepage: http://www.in-berlin.de/User/myrkr