Re: Printer in kernel 2.2.1

Hello:

A recent message (portion follows) indicated printer problems with
Kernel 2.2.1.  I am having somewhat sinilar problems, and request
assistance.

The previous correspondents indicated:

> *- On  9 Mar, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote about "Printer in kernel 2.2.1"
> > 	Hi Debian users,
> > 	I'm setting a printer with the new kernel: 2.2.1. When I tried make
> > xconfig and search for parallel printer support in character devices section I
> > couldnt mark the option. It's in gray collor. How I can mark this option?
> > 	Have a nice day,		Paulo Henrique
> >

> Printer support in the new kernel has lots of possibilities:
>
> General Setup:
> 	<*> Parallel port support          <== required
>         <*>    PC-style hardware           <== required for x86
>
> Plug and Play Support:
>         <*>   Auto-probe for parallel devices
> Character Devices:
>         <*> Parallel printer support       <== required
>         [*]   Support IEEE1284 status readback  <== I like this!
>

> At boot with the above options selected I get this:
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
> parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
> parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 660C
>
> --
> Brian

I have set up all the options indicated above as modules (where
appropriate), and requested that kerneld load them on request.  When I
queue a print job, and then request status, I discover the following:

status: cannot open '/dev/lp0' - 'Operation not supported by device',
attempt 8, sleeping 60 at 21:34:55

In conf.modules, I gave options for 'io=0x378,0x278 auto,auto' (going
from memory), but have only one printer port.  The parport.txt file
wasn't clear enough for me to decide what to do here...

'lsmod' shows 'lp' loaded, and 'parport' as well.

Do I have to force loading of the relevant modules at boot time, and
in a particular order?  Does auto-loading support some order (if that
is required?

Any insights you may have are welcomed.

Regards,

Dean Provins