Re: Printer in kernel 2.2.1

*- On  9 Mar, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote about "Printer in kernel 2.2.1"
> 	Hi Debian users,
> 	I'm setting a printer with the new kernel: 2.2.1. When I tried make
> xconfig and search for parallel printer support in character devices section I
> couldnt mark the option. It's in gray collor. How I can mark this option?
> 	Have a nice day,		Paulo Henrique

Printer support in the new kernel has lots of possibilities:

General Setup:
	<*> Parallel port support          <== required
        <*>    PC-style hardware           <== required for x86

Plug and Play Support:
        <*>   Auto-probe for parallel devices
Character Devices:
        <*> Parallel printer support       <== required
        [*]   Support IEEE1284 status readback  <== I like this!

At boot with the above options selected I get this:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 660C

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net