Re: set root execution permission for normal users

Hello,

Conrado Badenas:
> I have just compiled a kernel for parport ZIP drive support, and now I
> would want to get an automatic way to mount and umount the drive. I have
> created the next script (/usr/local/bin/mtzip):
>
> /sbin/modprobe ppa.o
> /bin/mount     /mnt/zip

Shell scripts can't be setuid. Use the sudo package instead.

> and added the next line in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sda4   /mnt/zip   msdos   rw,user,noauto,umask=007,gid=25   0   2

So it's only modprobe that needs to be run as root. One possibility would
be to run the modprobe on bootup (if that would do what you need).

Yes, there is a good reason why shell scripts can't be suid. Ask me if
interested.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently