RMAIL mode and metamail frustrations

Hi,

more & more often i get MIME messages from other people, often with just plain text.

There are also a lot of people using `quoted printable' iso-latin-1 or something like
that.

I read mail with Emacs RMAIL mode, mainly because i do everything in Emacs.

Lately, under Debian pre-2.1 (slink), all my M-x metamail-interpret-body commands
give me a viewer
(xterm) that allow me to read a message once.  Then it is gone.

Is there a _clean_ way in modern Debian that will allow me to read/process MIME and
quoted-printable
messages withing RMAIL?  It is quite frustrating that Emacs can do anything except
treat mail attachments
cleanly, like every stupid silly mail reading PC-program can.

---david