dvisvga (tmview) can't do resolution more than -d320x200!

I've just installed dvisvga and discovered that it can't seem to
handle resolutions higher than 320x200.  Now I have a SVGA card that
should be capable of handling 1024x768 --- certainly, this is the
resolution of X.  When I try I get the following error:

    fatal error: display: no such vga-mode on this machine

How can this be?  How can I fix it?

Thanks,

Mark.