Re: Exim configuration

> What do I need to add to exim.conf to be able to send mail.  I have a
> PPP connection to a provider and use fetchmail to get mail but I cannot
> send mail except through netscape.
>

> In /var/log/exim/mainlog.01
>
> SMTP error from remote mailer after Mail From: <lance@Buddha> SIZE=2522:
> host smtp-gw01.ibm.net Unresolvable domain name

You are calling your machine Buddha, right?  So exim assume any mail from
your machine ought to be from "user@Buddha", but your service provider
haven't heard of the machine Buddha and therefore assume it is fake
and reject your mail.

The expensive solution is to register your own domain for your machine.
Most people don't bother, and set up exim so it changes outgoing
mail from "user@machine" to "user@serviceprovider.net" instead.

Edit /etc/exim.conf
One of the last lines is something like this:

# *@something    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
#                                               {$value}fail} bcfrF

First, remove the comment signs (#)
Then fix it so it reads
*@Buddha ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
 {$value}fail} bcfrFs

And create /etc/email-addresses with the line
lance@Buddha lanceh@ibm.net

If you are the one and only user who send mail, don't bother
with the /etc/email-addresses file, or uncommenting stuff
in /etc/exim.conf

Just add a last line in /etc/exim.conf like this:

lance@Buddha.com lanceh@ibm.net  Ffrs

man exim, and files in /usr/doc/exim documents all this, but
it is a lot to read.  Basically you instruct exim to rewrite your
username and address to something the remote server will accept.
This is also necessary if you want people to be able to reply to you.

Helge Hafting