Re: Custom headers -- outgoing email

In article <[🔎] 19990307033933.A523@localhost>,
Aaron Van Couwenberghe  <vanco@sonic.net> wrote:

>From: Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net>
>Sender:  <aaron@localhost>
>
>I have mutt set up to include ~/.muttrc-local for each user. My
>.muttrc-local has (among other things) the following commands:
>
>set hdrs
>my_hdr From: "Aaron Van Couwenberghe" <vanco@sonic.net>
>my_hdr Sender: <vanco@sonic.net>
>
>Now, where is the Sender: header being replaced? Does the MTA override this
>setting? If so, how can one get a mail system useful for a single,
>periodically connected account?

I just used the standard "eximconfig" script to set up exim for my
Demon account...

Yes, Exim will normally write a Sender: header, (although I didn't
think it did if one was supplied... hmmm...)

Your mutt configuration looks right, and I assume you've checked it by
doing edit-headers from the message send screen.

Check your qualify_domain setting in /etc/exim.conf for the @localhost
thing appearing, which I think is dead wrong.

As for the local_part of sender: well, Exim is technically right about
this, if your account on your Debian box is called "aaron".

However, if you must change the outgoing sender lines, try adding this
line to your rewrite configuration:

vanco@sonic.net	     aaron@sonic.net

Which will change all occurrences of "vanco@sonic.net" to
"aaron@sonic.net".

You can also use the rewrite rules to rewrite @localhost if you can't
get rid of it, although you should be able to.

"/usr/sbin/exim -brw <addr>" will test the rewriting rules ("exim -brw
vanco@sonic.net" for example)

HTH

SRH
--
Steve Haslam            Validation Engineer, ARM Limited, Cambridge, England
I am the first and the last I claim this land