Re: forcing dselect to downgrade

Ok, I think I know what happened ... you removed smail and then installed
exim using dselect ... yes?

When you selected smail for removal, that caused a lot of problems with
packages that depend on an MTA ... they probably marked themselves for
removal also.

This is going to become a faq so ... the proper way to change MTA's is by
hand. You have to do a:

dpkg --purge --force-remove-essential smail (or whatever)
dpkg --install <new-MTA.deb>

Now this does not help you.  What I would do is run a

dpkg --configure --pending

And look at the FIRST error message you get. Get the package that has that
thing in it and install it with --force-depends. Now do the
--configure --pending again, look at the first error message, install THAT
package and continue until everything is OK.

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Tommy wrote:

> George,
>
> Thanks for your help, but for reasons I explain in another post, I dont
> think dpkg will be able to save me this time.  There are just too many
> errors
>
> Tom

George Bonser