Re: stop machine before fvwm2

Ben Frame wrote:
  >I need to boot my machine 1 time without loading the
  >window manager (fvwm2), is there any way to do this?  A
  >key to press during the bootup maybe (like F8 in
  >windows)?

Presumably you mean `without starting X'? (since fvwm2 is just another
X program).

a) interrupt the LILO boot by pressing the Control key and type
`linux single' in response to the boot prompt; that will put you in
single-user mode and will not, therefore, start X.

or

b) edit g/etc/X11/config and change start-xdm to no-start-xdm [not relevant
to the most recent versions of X where xdm is a separate package and
/etc/X11/config is no longer used.]

or

c) allow xdm to start and use ctrl-R to terminate it at the login screen

If you are able to log in through xdm, you can also get to a console screen
by pressing ctrl-alt-F1 [and -F2, -F3 up to -F6] after your X session is up
and running.

     "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence
      cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which
      made heaven and earth."
                           Psalms 121:1,2