Re: insert eps files in a TeX document

>     Excuse me, but I have to do this in TeX, no LaTeX.

epsf.tex works in plain TeX, as far as I know. In the TeTeX
distribution, it's in /usr/lib/texmf/tex/plain/dvips/epsf.tex. It's
well documented there. Here are some excerpts from the file:

-------
This file contains TeX macros to include an Encapsulated PostScript
graphic.  It works by finding the bounding box comment, calculating
the correct scale values, and inserting a vbox of the appropriate size
at the current position in the TeX document.

To use, simply say

   \input epsf % somewhere early on in your TeX file

then where you want to insert a vbox for a figure:

\epsfbox{filename.ps}

Alternatively, you can supply your own bounding box by

   \epsfbox[0 0 30 50]{filename.ps}

This will not read in the file, and will instead use the bounding box
you specify.

The effect will be to typeset the figure as a TeX box, at the point of
your \epsfbox command. By default, the graphic will have its `natural'
width (namely the width of its bounding box, as described in
filename.ps). The TeX box will have depth zero.

You can enlarge or reduce the figure by saying:

   \epsfxsize=<dimen> \epsfbox{filename.ps}
or

   \epsfysize=<dimen> \epsfbox{filename.ps}

instead. Then the width of the TeX box will be \epsfxsize and its
height will be scaled proportionately (or the height will be
\epsfysize and its width will be scaled proportionately).

and much more .....

Jim