How to keep both kernel-2.0.36 and 2.2.x? (in terms of lp setting)

Hi, there:

I would like to keep both kernel-2.0.36 and 2.2.x in my machine.  As you
all have known, 2.2.x change the LPT1 as lp0.  That becomes a problem if I
want to keep both version of kernels.  Any body got a solution?

My idea is to modify the initializtion script (/etc/init.d/lpd) to
recognize the version of kernel it is running and using different setting
for corresponding kernels.  But I am not familiar with script language...

Thanks in advance.

Yi-ping Chang