Re: Help

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 08:56:25AM +0000,
Pat Neumann <pneumann@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Hi I am new to Linux, and am learning fairly quick.  But I am having
> problems getting my Xserver to work at a higher color depth then 8.  If
> I try and remove that particular setting in the XF86Config file then it
> tells me that it cannot find the 8 bpp color setting and there for am
> unable to start X.

In the XF86Config file, find the section for your server (Section Screen,
Driver "SVGA" for me), and there should be a line above Subsection "Display"
called DefaultColorDepth. If it isn't there, make it. Here's the relevant
section from mine:

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 32
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

> Also is there a way to save screen size I.E.  so that every time I start
> Netscape I do not have to rezie it to fit the window.  I am using FWM95
> as my x manager.  I find it annoying to have to resize the windows every
> time I start X and Netscape.

Not sure about this. I use FVWM and don't have that problem, but I always
thought it was Netscape that was remembering its size.

--
|  Eric Gillespie, Jr.        |  epgilles@olemiss.edu       |