remove plip from kernel

Hi,

I've been trying to compile plip out of the 2.0.36 kerenel(slink, hda5), so I can
use lp, without success.  Here's some data:

In .config
# CONFIG_PLIP is not set
CONFIG_PRINTER=m

In bootup message:
NET3 PLIP version 2.2 gniibe@mri.co.jp
plip1: Parallel port at 0x378, using assigned IRQ 7.

And with cat /proc/ioports:
0378-037f : plip1

I've been using Debian's make-kpkg system to compile and I'm using  lilo
through my hamm installation on hdb1.  I know I'm changing the kernel,
because  once I lost my ppp and vfat support.

I have only the 1 parallel port and it's set at 0x378 & irq 7
My Hamm install prints without fuss and I don't have this plip problem.

I know it's something really stupid I'm doing (or not doing), but I cant
figure it out.
If you need more info, please let me know.  Any help is very welcomed.

John B