Re: Okay to remove obsolete required packages like "base"?

> > Hmm, now this leads me to a bit of a dilemma, I want to install
> > some new packages.  I was hoping apt-get would be able to do this
> > for me, but it seems that apt-get will only install commandline
> > explicitly stated packages.  Ie, I wanted to be able to select
> > stuff using dselect, and then exit and use apt-get to do the
> > work.  Unfortunately it would seem this is not possible.  What is
> > possible is to use the apt method in dselect to install new
> > packages, but it would seem this is not safe, as I get the
> > following:
>
> Install apt and you should get a new apt method in dselect. Select
> option 1 in the main dselect menu and you should see it.

apt is already installed, and the new apt method in dselect was the
one I was attempting to use.  It was this method which told me it
would remove base:

  WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
  This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
    base base base

I suppose I could hold the base package --- but are there any other
nasties awaiting me --- I read on the list somewhere that using apt
through dselect wasn't as safe as using apt-get.

Cheers,

Mark.