Re: Help

> Hi I am new to Linux, and am learning fairly quick.  But I am having
> problems getting my Xserver to work at a higher color depth then 8.  If
> I try and remove that particular setting in the XF86Config file then it
> tells me that it cannot find the 8 bpp color setting and there for am
> unable to start X.

to start it with 16bpp use
startx -- -bpp 16

> Also is there a way to save screen size I.E.  so that every time I start
> Netscape I do not have to rezie it to fit the window.  I am using FWM95
> as my x manager.  I find it annoying to have to resize the windows every
> time I start X and Netscape.

Most applications allow you to specify the size which they take upon the
startup. Like, if you call
xterm -geometry 80x40
it will produce xterm window of size 80x40.
Same with emacs, etc.
I don't know the way it's done in FWM95, but in AfterStep I can edit a
wharf file (wharf is the controller for AS on my computer) so that when I
click on an icon it will give me an emacs window of specific size.
I'm sure there is a way to do that in FWM as well.
The other way would be to change the /etc/X11/Xresources file and put in a
string at the end like:
Netscape*Size: 120x50
I am not sure about the exact syntax, I'm deriving this from the way I
initialize fonts for Netscape through Xresources, but try it out.

HTH,
  Andrew
 Andrei S. Ivanov
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu