RE:

The source tarball (from www.samba.org) comes with a script
(mksmbpasswd.sh) to do so.  In
2.0.2, the default location for this file is
/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.  I may
have just gotten lucky, but the samba 2.0.2 debs from potato installed
the smbpasswd file
by default (I think).

As for the mixed case passwords, I don't know for sure.  All the
passwords on my samba box
are lower case.  The Win95 boxes can be a beast to get to connect in
themselves, as
Microsoft has released patches for the redirector (vrdrupd.exe) which
disables clear text
passwords.  Clear text passwords are disabled by default in Win98 and
WinNT SP3 and above.