root.bin doesn't work

I tried to install debian over NFS on a systems without any OS but failed.
I installed several times Linux (suse and redhat) without problems but I
don't know how to solve my problem with debian:

I am able to start booting with the rescue disk (2.0.34) on my PC (P II,
Adaptec 2940 UW) but after inserting the root disk a kernel panic occurs.
Before the panic some lines with parameters of the floppy are displayed
including the string "DOS", probably because the floppy was originally DOS
formatted.

I prepared the root disk with the dd command (as written in install.txt)
and even with the DOS tool rawrite but the result was always the same. I
tried to apply rdev onto the disk but nothing changed. I also tried
several floppies to exclude material problems and booted many times.

Any hints are appreciated.

Werner