Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 08:36:38PM +1000, Peter Ludwig wrote:

> Now, I have a few problems with it.
> 1) No "IDE" for the compiler.

Try Emacs or XEmacs.  Don't be mislead by the fact that they call Emacs
an editor - it's far, far more than a mere editor.  It has support for
compilation and interactive debugging within an Emacs session, and has
hooks for using version control systems and syntax highlighting for most
programming languages you're likely to care about.

I think there's also an IDE being built for GNOME (called GIDE or
something) but personally I can't see any reason why I'd use it rather
than Emacs.

> 2) Still no support for my old CDROM drive (I have a new
> computer/cdrom/etc. but I still have the old machine, and would like to
> use the old cd in the old system).

Unless the manufacturer are willing to provide specs (you might try
asking them - it's old enough that they might not care any more) or
someone's very enthusiastic, the support is unlikely to appear.

> 3) No documentation on how to load/use the original programs that loaded
> when installing.  That is, can I load again the program that allowed me to

Hmm...  This problem seems to apply to all the distributions I've tried.
They have a nice menu in the installer, but not once you've installed.
You could try looking at the boot-floppies package source to see if you
can figure out where it comes from.  You could also try asking the
maintainer.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/