fstab setup

My Linux system runs off of a small (170 MB) hard drive.
I added a larger (app. 700 MB) hard drive in order to load all the Debian packages that I would like to get.

However, Dselect tells me that I don't have enough room to load the packages (which total approx. 450 MB).  My first thought was that I could change the Fstab file to reflect my new hard disk, and thus solve my problem.

I guess my major question is how can I configure Fstab to "let" Dselect know that I have the required space?
(Alternatively, I'm probably completely off base and my question would then be, how can I get the system to acknowledge this newly mounted hard drive and be able to utilize the extra space for installing packages?)

James Rucker, Linux lover!    -- and newbie ;^)