Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, King Lee wrote:

> If I'm right and Debian addresses the above points, Debian may gain
> "market share".  It's going to be tough because once IBM, etc, sign
> up with Red Hat, it's going to be hard for them to change.

I am not sure how gaining market share improves Debian. I think you could
say that Debian is better than Red Hat for servers. In other words, get
the message over that Red Hat might be easier for the single-user desktop
but Debian is the proper choice for the unattended server.

Market share is only important to you if your goal is to make money.
Otherwise, it is a pain in the hips. It just means more users to support
without any additional resources available with which to support them. If
you made money, you would have the resources to provide more support.

Great success of something that is free can sometimes kill it. We would be
better off to develop a commercial distro based on the free Debian model
that would generate resources that could be fed back into the free
project.