Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

>I think dselect, especially in
>combination with the apt access method, is terrific - it just takes some
>time upfront to get used to it.

Many people switching to Linux from the 'Other ' OS may equate spending time
to learn an install package, with difficulty of use and/or other nameless
difficulties.
I use Win95/NT at work and I was using RedHat at home for the last one year
and I made a few unsuccessful attempts to switch to debian, but was stopped
everytime by the rather steep learning curve and the forbidding front end of
dselect. Just a few weeks back I succeeded in installing hamm from a CD. I
am now experimenting with all the distros I can lay may hands on - I will
try and post my experiences. (Currently I am struggling with Suse 5.3 after
having installed Mandrake last evening)

It appears to me dselect is more a sysadmin's install tool. Even Yast looks
a little easier. for my $0.02 i would strongly suggest ywo install programs
a simpleone with less choices and another for the more adventurous.

If I want to write an install program, whom do I get in touch? I do know C
fairly well and I would give this a crack. Will someone point me to areas of
study, persons to contact?

P Asokan