Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

At 11:51 PM 2/26/99 -0500, Geoffrey Deasey KD4WVF wrote:
>We are attracting windows users and they
>come to us with no linux experience.  I tryed
>debian a while ago <snip> and became so
>frustrated with dselect that I gave up twice.

Exactly true.  I used apt-get to install Slink and believe apt-get is
excellent.  The issue for me is that it needs a top level package selection
system.  For example.  It would be nice to have a category called "mail
transport agents" and one called "mail clients".  I would browse the list of
candidate packages and make my choice.  Then apt-get would find all the
dependencies and install them.

There should also be a top-level package "remove" option that would remove a
package and all orphaned dependencies.  I'll bring this idea up with the
apt-get maintainer but I wanted to let people know that I found apt-get to be
much easier to use than dselect.  Until I installed apt-get, I had given up on
dselect and was simple downloading packages and running dpkg recursively until
I got a given package fully installed.

Disclaimer: I am a Debian amateur so my comments may be uninformed.

--
Copyright(c) 1998 Lyno Sullivan; this work is free and may be
copied, modified and distributed under the GNU Library General