Installation problems

Here is my problem, can anyone help?
Having partitioned my hard disk, I've tried to install debian-linux from my dos partition and using floppies.
Using the dos partition, I get to "install the base system" but I can't get the set-up program to find the base2_0.tgz file on my (windows 98) partition. Am I putting the file in the wrong place? Have I got to mount the dos partition or something?

When using floppies, all 5 base disks read but there seems to be a problem uncompressing them.