Install bombs on Swap disk initialization

Hello,

I'm tired of looking at the blinking cursor while the swap disk is being
"initialized"... It just sits there doing nothing for as long as I care
to leave it there.

Sooo, I tried creating the swap partition again, and this time I told it
to check for bad sectors [which I had already done with dos's scandisk
before even trying the install] and it seemed to run this time, but
again bombed, with a message that says OOPS: 0 and a lot of other binary
dump stuff that I don't have a clue how to read.

I then tried to install with no swap disk after removing the partition
for it. I created only a root partition, and a logical partition for
data, etc...

Once again, I get the bomb with the message "file system not created"
when I try to initialize either of these partitions. OUCH!

Can anyone help me figure this out so I can get on with my experience of
learning Linux? [be gentle, I'm an old dos/windows user so I'm green
with Linux]

I'm trying to install on my old 386 with 32 meg of ram, a Quantum 340AT,
and a Maxtor 7120AT drive. I have the slave/master jumpers on these
drives set correctly. There is also a Panasonic CD rom drive with
Panasonics' proprietary interface card, and a 512K ATI VGA 1024 video
card in the system.

Thanks for any help you can be, and THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME GET AWAY
FROM WINDOWS. 8-)