Re: hostname & domain name changing

caa@8eight8.net.ph hat gesagt: // caa@8eight8.net.ph wrote:

>   when i installed my debian box, i only put in some out of nowhere
> hostname and domain names, now it seems that i need to give it some
> real hostname and domain name that really exists. can someone direct
> me please as to what files (all necessary files) that i should change
> for me to go about this. any help will greatly be appriciated. caa

Depending on your installed software there really can be a _lot_
of places where your hostname and domainname are used. Nearly all
network packages like s(end)mail or ppp may have your host information
somewhere. As Debian still lacks a centralized network setup tool you
will have to find all the files by yourself. Don't trust suggestions
like "Edit /etc/hostname and all is done"! Instead use grep!

As root do a
# grep <yourhostname> `find /etc/` | less

This will give you a list of all the files where your hostname is used.
You have to be root because some of the configuration files are only
readable to root (like /etc/ppp/*)

The list might look like this for my hostname.domainname fliwatut.scifi:
#------------------------------------------------------#
/etc/motd:Linux fliwatut.scifi 2.0.34 #1 Wed Nov 4 17:09:37 CET 1998 i586 unknow
/etc/motd:Linux fliwatut.scifi 2.0.34 #1 Tue Sep 22 13:55:49 CEST 1998 i586 unkn
own
/etc/hosts.allow:leafnode: localhost fliwatut.scifi
/etc/ppp/options.ttyXX:# I usually use the convention fliwatut.scifi.com + dash
+ last 2 character of
[...]
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc.old:Cwfliwatut
/etc/mailname:fliwatut
/etc/sendmail.cf:##### built by root@fliwatut.scifi on Thu Feb 11 12:33:36 CET 1
999
/etc/sendmail.cf:Cwfliwatut.scifi
/etc/sendmail.cf:CGfliwatut
/etc/apache/httpd.conf:ServerName fliwatut.scifi
[...]

The next thing to do is backup and then edit all the files carefully and
changing the names where appropriate. For some of the files you will
have to run configuration programs again. Sendmail for example will have
to build a new sendmail.cf out of the file sendmail.mc and so on.

--
                                                     __    __
 Frank Barknecht           ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______