Re: Data Storage

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Stephen Lavelle wrote:

> We are soon going to be installing a Linux Box on our Win98 network as a
> file server -

You'll notice a vast difference :)  Plug here for Linux sponsored by
no-one.

> and i want to know of a good back up media supported by debian and easy to
> configure:
> something like - zip or jazz drives.

Well, I run an LS-120 (from Imation, external) drive on my machine here at
home, I've updated the kernel to 2.2.1, but if you just run the internel
version, it works fine with earlier kernel versions (i.e. 2.0.34 the base
kernel that comes with hamm recognised it and allowed me to use it okay
internally, but I wanted it external so I upgraded <grin>).

The external (i.e. parrallel) versions of both the jazz and zip drives are
also supported by kernel 2.2.1, also I believe that you might be able to
use any number of external Tape drives.

The number one rule of buying hardware for linux is simply this :-

Do not buy any hardware for a machine that is to run Linux permanently
that has or is called "Windows-Specific"/"Win<insert-name-here>".  This
sort of hardware is unable to run under the linux operating system
(normally) as the required information for writing the driver is not
always released public domain, as such, it cannot be distributed, ergo no
linux driver.

If you are looking for a particular style of hardware, try looking at the
hardware supported list at either www.debian.org, or more importantly (as
you can always update the kernel if you need to) www.kernel.org, or
www.linux.org.

I noticed that you are from Australia (as I am), if you are in Brisbane,
if you want I can go give you a list of people who have good priced
hardware (which runs very well under linux) for sale.

Catch ya l8r,
	Peter Ludwig