ThinkPad PCMCIA oddity

I had to reinstall Debian on my ThinkPad after something I did caused it to go
into endless reboots.

The second time around, I did not choose a network card and only set up PCMCIA
and when I rebooted, I still had no network card, so I opened another console
and as root entered the command /etc/init.d/network start and that brought the
network card up.  I am waiting to see how IBM deals with this when they start
including Linux with ThinkPads.  I seem to recall it will be RedHat, though.

This time, the first thing I will do is recompile the kernel and be careful
not to add a new kernel by accident.  I think that is how I messed it up.

--
Andrew